I hate to admit this, but every time I receive a kind compliment, for example: “You are pretty!” I say thanks with a smile, but a small, spiteful voice inside my head is always lamenting… “Yeah, but you’re still fat.”
Sometimes I wonder if it’s me telling myself that, or just the invisible voice of my critics out there. Even though I’m no longer morbidly overweight or in a particularly unhealthy physical state, I still don’t feel confident enough about the way I look. My weight has been something that’s been bothering me for a long time now. Perhaps you may find this hard to believe because I’m always posting vain pictures of myself. But those pictures have been digitally altered, and I know my good angles, plus I selectively choose which pictures to upload… so I have no qualms posting a photo online, because I’m in total control. In real life, however, there’s no running away from what other peoples eyes see!
I won’t bore you with excessive woeful tales about how chubby I really am, blah blah blah. I’m sure most of you are all too familiar with my weight struggles already. Also, they’re moderately depressing to read about. I’ve posted a whole lot about it throughout the past 2 years or so, you can browse through the “weight loss” labelled posts in my archive if you like, but today’s post will be focusing on a different subject – I’m introducing an effective new weight management program I’ve been on, also under traditional chinese medicine / methods, called Slim Couture.
Slim Couture is a home-grown Singapore company focused on helping women lose weight safely. Through the principles of traditional Chinese medicine, Slim Couture prides itself in providing 100% results guaranteed weight loss solutions to female clients with weight issues since 2010.
I left my face completely unaltered in the pic above so you can see how chubby and round my face actually is! I was blessed to be born with a long face shape and a nice angular jawline but I kind of ruined it all by over eating, lol.
I’d first heard about Slim Couture from Yina last year. She knew I was interested in losing weight (but obviously finding it difficult to gather enough motivation and discipline to stick to a diet / exercise regime) so she recommended Slim Couture to me, stating she had personally witnessed good results for herself despite only having done the treatment for about 2 months. I considered the option, but decided I would try losing the weight all by myself, thought I wouldn’t need any external help…… …. but eventually realized… god damn it, I really do need the help I can get, lol! I’m so easily distracted and sidetracked. I need something to keep me committed. So finally, about a month ago, I decided to give Slim Couture a go!
Now, just so you know, this post consists entirely of my own opinions, and I’m not being told to say any of this.
Here’s me on my first day of treatment with them!
Upon stepping in, I felt a familiar sense of nervousness overcome me. I remember feeling this way a long time ago: Excited. Scared. Nervous. Hopeful. Skeptical. …All at once. I’ve done TCM slimming before, so I’ve no doubt that it could actually work. But Slim Couture’s treatments do not involve needles. What exactly can Slim Couture do for me, or you?
TCM slimming 101- information extracted from their official website.
“As people are busy with their hectic work schedule, it is very unlikely that they will have the time to exercise and keep fit. And the fastest and easiest method that they can find is taking slimming pills or supplements that help to burn fats and loss weight in the blind of an eye. Some even go to the extent of crash dieting, where one does not eat willingly for long hours in order to lose weight. On the other hand, most people are not aware that TCM slimming techniques are healthy and does not have side effect on the body, techniques such as acupuncture, Chinese herbal medication, massage therapy, scrapping and cupping treatment.
Slimming pills and supplements
Taking slimming supplements and weight loss pills are fast and convenient ways to lose weight. One just simply performs his daily chores and it only takes a minute or 2 and pops the pill before or after meal for it to take effect. Those who took the supplements are more than happy, as the results are noticeable after a short period from a few weeks’ time to even a few days, depends on individual’s reaction to the medicine. Soon after taking the supplement for a prolonged period of time, the effects will degrade, as the human body starts adapting to the medicine, and sometimes, the result may even rebound if one just simply stops taking the medication. Taking slimming pills and supplements are fast and convenient, but the effects are not permanent and sometimes may even cause side effects the body.
While some are using drugs and pills to suppress obesity and burning fats in their body, there are also people who will go to the extent of reducing their meal intake. In a sense, yes, eating a reduced amount of food everyday as to doing the same amount off physical activity somehow will imbalance the intake (food) and output (action) ratio. Well, you may be able to achieve the desired weight in a short period of time, but it can be dangerous as well, as crash dieting also means cutting off your intake of healthy minerals, vitamins, which are good for the body in fighting off illnesses or viruses. Crash dieting may also cause malnutrition which can be risky for people of a younger age.
Traditional Chinese Medicine Slimming
As compared to taking slimming supplements and crash dieting, TCM slimming method is healthy, does not have side effect, and the results are long-lasting. Moreover, it helps to regulate blood circulation, internal secretion, detoxing, improve metabolism and digestion, which helps to promote the overall healthy effect on slimming. It is not always as simple as in the case that the more you eat, the more weight you gain. Most people believe that weight is gained from overeating, which is in fact true for most cases, but it fails to explain that how can some people simply can lose weight even though they are heavy eaters while some just simply gain weight easily, even just by eating small portions of meal and drinking only water. Traditional Chinese Medicine studies the relationship between having healthy internal organs and the overall well-being of a person.”
After having been through quite a few sessions with them now, I’d like to personally advise a few things you can expect if you undergo the same treatment:
• Your measurements and weight will be taken every session (mine are twice weekly), so your weight loss progress can be closely monitored. It’s very motivating to hear the numbers dropping every week! And also a great way to keep yourself in check.
• Don’t expect it to be some miracle treatment whereby you stuff yourself with bad food, and still expect to be losing a lot of weight. I’ve said this before, and I swear no words are more true. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet. You will have to follow their diet plan for you if you want the best results in the shortest amount of time.
• You will, however, see results in as little as one session. I have to admit, I didn’t diet at all during the period between Session 1 and Session 2. Partly because I had no self control, also because I was curious to see what the treatment could do without any dieting effort from my part. Amazingly enough, my measurements still dropped around my thigh area!
• No pain, no gain, right? It does hurt. Both scraping “gua sha”, and cupping “ba guan”. Quite a substantial bit…. especially at the start. It definitely takes some getting used to. I actually writhed and flung around like something from The Exorcist movie and almost kicked my therapist a few times (I think I actually did, luckily they’re all super nice). Gradually, you’ll get used to the sensation more as the sessions go by, and the pain becomes bearable. It hurts the most where you have the most cellulite – but “gua sha” will help your cellulite go away (I can vouch for this!!!!!!!!) and it’s extremely effective in helping you lose inches off problem areas (for me, particularly my love handles and upper thighs) so yes… it’s totally worth it. Through this treatment, I’ve come to realize that pain is temporary, whereas the results will last for as long as you bother to maintain them. I have low pain tolerance, so I wouldn’t be doing this unless I really believe it was worth my time and effort.
• You won’t need to take any dietary supplements or exercise regularly when you’re with Slim Couture.
• The cupping will leave reddish marks (they do not hurt afterwards like bruises do, only discoloration) on your body, and these can last anywhere from days to weeks. If you like wearing sleeveless clothes, you could either 1) ask your therapist to avoid cupping areas where you don’t want the marks to be seen, or 2) cover them with concealer, like I do!
• I lost 1.5kg in a week, with eating clean, and help from Slim Couture!!!!! I was shocked myself. For me, I don’t have as much of a problem losing weight as I do maintaining to keep it off. But of course, everyone’s results will vary and you should not base your expectations on MY results. I can only tell you what I went through personally. I know that their other customers have drastic weight loss way more impressive than the rate I’m going! I’m probably too lenient with my diet. I still snack on junk food quite often, much to their displeasure. Nevertheless, I will try harder! Despite my not-so-clean diet, I’ve still been seeing amazing progress when it comes to achieving a more svelte silhouette. My lumps and bumps have all decreased significantly!
Thank you dear Joanne, Sherlin, Wan Ting and all the other wonderful ladies at Slim Couture for making me feel so hopeful about attaining a trimmer version of myself! It really helps that they’re convincing at encouraging you. They make you feel like your goals are certainly achievable, and they do their very best to help you in any way they can. Since my treatment is still an on-going process, I can’t show any Before / After shots yet. BUT, in my next post (soon), I’ll show you guys some progress shots, where you can already see significant improvement in my extra flabby areas!
I’ll be happy to answer any questions related to Slim Couture that you may have.
You can leave me a comment, or drop me an e-mail. If you do visit them, make sure to tell them you came from Jessica’s blog! They will treat you well. And if you go to the Singapore Shopping Centre outlet, we may just bump into each other sooner or later! Do say hi if we do! I’m still going there twice weekly. I love how it’s just opposite Plaza Singapura, very convenient for me to go for my other appointments after my treatments. I can’t wait to share with y’all my results! Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!
18 Cross Street, #02-06
China Square Central
Tel: (+65) 6536 8586
190 Clemenceau Ave 2,
Singapore Shopping Centre, #05-29
Tel: (+65) 6336 8665