When thinking about local childhood drinks, the name Ribena surely comes to mind.
This deep purple / reddish cordial has been a household name in Singapore ever since I could remember. Their signature bright purple colored packet drinks were a favorite of mine when I was in primary school! And it seems like not much has changed about the people’s love for Ribena throughout the years. It’s still a popular beverage, especially with the kids.
What’s not to like about it?
Ribena is a cordial made from 100% blackcurrants from New Zealand and contains no artificial sweeteners, flavorings or colors! Rich in Vitamin C, a 200ml glass of Ribena drink provides a child’s daily Vitamin C requirements.
Everyone already knows the most fuss-free way to enjoy Ribena – pour some cordial and water into a glass, then stir, and drink up!
But because I own a spiffy little dessert cafe… I can’t possibly just stop there, can I? Experimenting with new flavor combinations and plating of food happens to be one of my favorite hobbies!
As part of our daily Seasonal Cake offerings that are sold at Shiberty Bakes by the slice, I decided to come up with a Blueberry Blackcurrant cake inspired by and made with Ribena!
I love the pretty purple ombre effect and the simple but effective finishing touches on the cake. Can’t help but dab a little bit of gold on everything I touch these days!
To our usual sponge cake and buttercream recipe, I added blueberries and Ribena cordial! The end result is tasty and rather subtle in taste. It won’t taste overly-Ribena-ish as I’d initially expected! I think this would be a great cake to make for Mother’s Day, and for any Ribena lover.
If you added raspberries in the middle cream layer, I reckon it would be even more delicious! To achieve the ombre purple effect, just make different shades of purple, ranging from light to dark, and always start from the bottom (dark) part first, and work your way up!
Blueberry Blackcurrant Cake
Plain Sponge Cake (base recipe source)
- 225g self-raising flour
- 225g butter, at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 grams blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / gas mark 4
- Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl
- Mix all of the ingredients using a electric whisk, then add blueberries into batter and gently stir
- Pour the mixture into 2 non-stick 7 inch tins
- Place them in the oven till golden brown 15-25 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack before serving
Swiss Meringue Buttercream (base recipe source)
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons of Ribena cordial
- Place the egg whites and sugar into a metal bowl and stir vigorously over a bain marie.
- Transfer the heated egg whites and sugar to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer
- Mix at high speed until they have reached their maximum volume / stiff peaks
- Mix on medium speed while pinching off small pieces of butter and throwing them in
- Mix in 8 tablespoons of Ribena cordial
- The buttercream may look like it is breaking down, but keep on mixing and it will come back together
And there you have yourself a deliciously fluffy and tempting Blueberry Blackcurrant Cake! Just look at that color!!! To achieve this deep purple in the frosting, you will need violet food colouring.
To relive my childhood memories, I made my own sparkling Ribena drink a tad bit more sophisticated by just adding 3/4 cup soda water to 1/4 cup Ribena cordial, and some cut up fruits to go along with.
The sweetness of the cordial can be adjusted simply by adjusting the amount to suit your own preferences! I suppose the kids would like it slightly sweeter, while adults may prefer to cut down on the sweetness.
Just as I was done frosting the cake and making the drink at my cafe, my awesome friend Geraldine spontaneously walked in, so I made her share the yummy treats with me!
She was all too happy, of course. She’s the sweetest thing ever!!!
Good things are made great by sharing them with someone you love! Who will you make these Ribena treats for?
Ribena is having a promotion now, for every 1L of Cordial drink bought, you will receive a free jug to make awesome concoctions at home with!